Wednesday, June 11, 2008

Today's Therapy

As I've mentioned, I have a partially torn patellar tendon that needs surgery. Due to the nature of the injury I'm in a tough spot. Surgery will prevent me from running in September due to the recovery time and not having surgery puts me at high risk for further damage to the knee and being unable to run period. I've opted for intense physical therapy with traditional and non-traditional means. Today's therapy included Electrical Stimulation of the knee and low level laser therapy. The low level laser therapy helps repair the knee at the cellular level. It's not your traditional therapy but is gaining popularity due to Lance Armstrong and Tiger Woods making it part of their recoveries in recent years.  I've made tremendous progress in recent weeks. Five weeks ago I could not run around the block and on Saturday I finished a 20 mile training run. I will be working on the strength of my upper body & core at 4:15 tomorrow morning.

No comments: